Gawfer

"We have staked the whole of all our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God." James Madison

Sunday, March 18, 2007

A Quote for the Ages

“It appears we have appointed our worst generals to command forces, and our most gifted and brilliant to edit newspapers! In fact, I discovered by reading newspapers that these editor/geniuses plainly saw all my strategic defects from the start, yet failed to inform me until it was too late. Accordingly, I’m readily willing to yield my command to these obviously superior intellects, and I’ll, in turn, do my best for the Cause by writing editorials - - after the fact.”Robert E. Lee, 1863

It turns out, the concept of 'Arm Chair Quarterbacking' has been around a little longer than the NFL. What I find so frustrating is when the 'home team' gets behind, the fans turn against them. I'll change the channel if I'm watching a football game, and the home team fans start booing their team. It really makes me sick. As early as the end of the third quarter, cameras pan across the stadium to see fans leaving in disappointment because their team let them down. Throw in the towel! Just quit and go to the locker room you losers! are just some of the cries of defeat that’s heard. This sounds strangely familiar to the current war against terror. Bring our troops home! Re-deploy! All the while our military and the leaders continue to fight.

Whether or not the Robert E. Lee quote is authentic is of little consequence to this post. The point that is trying to be made here is this: While our team is on the field, and this includes the Generals and leaders, we have to be diligent in our support. Because the stakes are so high, we cannot afford to get up in the third quarter and go home. Each American has a responsibility to SUPPORT the home team until this thing is done whether we like the outcome or not.


(Read the full backstory of the Lee quote here: Snopes.com).

H/T: MyPal