"We have staked the whole of all our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God." James Madison

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

3rd Half?

OK, I didn't post on Tuesday, but with just cause.

Monday started out with a 0400 wake up call to get cleaned up after a hot ‘walk about’ in a crowded Disneyland on Sunday. It was an interesting day in the park as it was full of People dressed in “GOTH” outfits. I misunderstood and wore a GOLF shirt instead...

Mrs. Gawfer took a little more time getting ready than I anticipated, so we left the house for the airport about 15 minutes later than planned. No sweat, on the freeway still ahead of commute traffic... until we encountered an accident stoppage. Dang! Get off the freeway and follow the guy ahead of me. Yeah, he looks like he knows where he's going (lemming). Going north from the 60 on a road I was unfamiliar with, I figured I'd eventually run into the 10. Dang! A tee in the road. Mrs. Gawfer, after reading Thomas Bros. map says turn left. The road ends up turning into Airport Blvd. (She's good.) We arrive at the airport in time to work our way thru security and go strait to the gate for immediate boarding. Whew! Couldn't sit together but it was only a 45 minute flight.

After arriving in Phoenix, I remember that I forgot the car rental confirmation, and I wasn't even sure the rental company, but I took a guess and got it right. Alamo. We upgraded from a midsize to an Infinity I35 for an additional $4.00 and I was happy we did. We also rented a Navigation system for $10.00, but it had us going 180° in the wrong direction resulting in me being 1 hour late to my appointment, but I made it.

After my appointment, it was north to Prescott, AZ where we saw Doc Holiday's hotel and Wyatt Erp's house. That was cool. We toured the town and enjoyed the 20° temperature difference from Phoenix which was 108°.

On the way back down the mountain, we watched an awesome electrical storm and subsequent monsoon creating clouds of steam when the rain hit the road, and enjoyed another 20° temperature drop. The overall Temperature swing was 42° in about a 4 hour window.

We arrived back at the Airport about 1 1/2 hours before or scheduled flight, which gave us time to return the rental, check in and get a quick bite. Then the announcement came: "Because of the electrical storm, all inbound flights are in a holding pattern, and ground radio communications have been suspended. Planes on the ground are also unable to refuel at this time." Dang! Our 7:45 departure time was delayed 2 hours which got Mrs. Gawfer and I home near midnight. After a 0500 wake up, and a day full of putting out fires at the office, I decided to wait until now to post.

My day with Mrs. Gawfer was an excellent adventure indeed, and we were able to see a part of our country that was new to us, and has a beauty unique unto itself.