Gawfer

"We have staked the whole of all our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God." James Madison

Saturday, February 17, 2007

A Letter to my Congresswoman

Below is the letter I emailed to my representative this morning regarding H. Con. Res. 63, and her continued support of our president. I feel it absolutely imperitive that we maintain contact with our Representatives and Senators. We are the constituency they serve, but for them to do the job we've commisioned them to do, they must know our thoughts. I was told recently that they view every letter or email they receive as a representation of 1000 voters each.


Dear Congresswoman Bono,

First, I would like to thank you for your recent letter acknowledging my correspondence. It is a welcome thought to know our concerns and opinions are actually being taken into account.

Secondly, I would like to affirm your position on the recent resolution brought before the house. H. Con. Res. 63 is in my opinion, a perfect example of an oxymoron. First, General Petraeus, with his expertise in developing strategy, was unanimously confirmed by congress. Then in a matter of days, a second vote followed, in essence, denying him the very resources he specifically asked for to do the job. He was very clear in his testimony that there are no guarantees, but felt there is an excellent chance for success. Almost all democrats and some 17 republicans used their vote as an opportunity to lash out against the President. But in actuality, they were wounding the man they had just voted for. During World War II, several huge mistakes were made. We didn’t win that war because of stellar leadership. We won because we as a people, set aside our differences and supported ONE leader, focusing on ONE goal, to win.

Congresswoman Bono, I am a Veteran of the United States Navy. I served from 1979 to 1985 as a jet mechanic working on P-3 Orions. Though I keep abreast of current politics, I have always been reluctant to speak out against our Commanders in Chief, even after they left office. I served while one of our worst CiC’s in history was in office, but to this day, I limit my comments because of the respect I hold for the position. I find it appalling and hurtful to hear the incendiary comments being made from the house and senate directed at our President all in the name of politics. This type rhetoric only emboldens our adversaries, and I do believe they listen very closely to what is being said on the floor. Imagine if you will how our enemies would feel if every Senator and Every Representative looked straight into the camera, and with an unwavering resolve said I support the president, and we’re coming to take you out.

So I encourage you to continue to support President Bush and his administration, working to show solidarity for him and this great nation of ours. And I as your constituent will continue to support you. Thank you for your service to me, our community, and to the United States of America.

Sincerely,

Gawfer(I used my real name in the email)