Gawfer

"We have staked the whole of all our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God." James Madison

Sunday, April 30, 2006

2nd post while away for the weekend.

Whenever I travel, I always forget to pack something and this weekend is no different. So last night jumping into the smoke laden rental car I got from AVIS... I headed to the drug store to pick up the forgotten toiletries.

Waiting to check out, I noticed the lady ahead of me had a difficult time speaking english (of latin descent I believe) and was trying to purchase some over-the-counter alergy medicine. Evidently, In California anyway, if purchasing certain meds now, an ID is required for tracability (I didn't know that until last night). Well she didn't have a driver's license so she couldn't buy those particlar drugs. No problem. But when I noticed she paid for the rest of her $40.00 purchase, she used a credit card/check card. Hmmm. If she didn't have a driver's/ Id, how could she get a check card/visa I wondered to myself? Well, I said, it's not against the law to shop in our country.

No worries, I paid for my few items and headed back to my stinky, filthy rental car I got from AVIS (did I already say that?), and guess what I saw... My latino line-mate getting into her car and driving away. Did I mention she didn't have a License?) And Did I also mention that on the back of my credit card where the signature goes I wrote 'Check ID'? It didn't happen at that store... Longs Drugs by the way.

My point is this... The majority of American Citizens still don't see the threat to the American dream. Futher, those that do are reluctant to step up, and protect what little freedom we still have.